UNLV concluded its nonconference schedule with its sixth straight victory on Saturday night, a 83-64 victory over Cal State Fullerton at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Okay, so nobody will never confuse the Titans (5-8) with New Mexico or San Diego State. But the Rebels (9-4) continue to show steady improvement since a 3-4 start and have won all six of the games during the streak by at least 16 points.
Here are some of the highlights from the win:
* Forward Roscoe Smith picked up his ninth double-double of the season, scoring 17 points to go along with a game-high 14 rebounds.
* Guard Bryce Dejean-Jones had arguably his best game of the season, finishing with a game-high 19 points to go along with seven rebounds, six assists and zero turnovers.
* Guard Kevin Olekaibe scored 12 points and hit four of his first five 3-point attempts.
(STORY CONTINUES BELOW, CHECK OUT BARRY WONG’S GAME HIGHLIGHT VIDEO)
* Forward Khem Birch had his sixth double-double of the season (12 points, 10 rebounds).
* Swingman Jelan Kendrick again was huge off the bench, scoring nine points while playing good defense.
* The Rebels held the Titans to just 34.9 percent shooting, the seventh time this season UNLV has held an opponent below 36 percent shooting.
* Point guard Deville Smith, coming off a MVP performance in the Las Vegas Classic, left early in the second half after scoring five points and dishing off three assists with a strained right hamstring injury.
“I felt it earlier when I was running at midcourt,” Smith said. “Then I tried to jump and I felt it again.”
Smith, who was still walking gingerly afterward, said he should be ready for Wednesday’s Mountain West opener at Fresno State.
“I’ve had it before,” he said. “I should be okay (for Fresno State).”
“We’ll know a lot more (Sunday,” UNLV coach Dave Rice said.
* The Rebels, who had shot 65 percent of better from the free throw line in their past eight games, were a dreadful 16-of-34 (47.1 percent) from the foul line.
Check out what Rice had to say about the game in the VIDEO below:
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/jfkfinancial/public_html/mylvsports/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 399