Promising sophomore forward Savon Goodman, already sitting out the 2013-14 season while dealing with felony charges connected with an alleged burglary last May, has decided to leave UNLV.
“I have enjoyed my time at UNLV and am thankful for the support of the fans, my teammates and coaches since I have been here,” Goodman said in a statement issued by the school on Friday afternoon. “However, I have felt a lot of pressure the last few months. I feel it is best for me to leave the program at this time. Even though I am from Philadelphia, I will always think of Las Vegas as another home.”
Goodman, who averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds in 9.1 minutes per game last season as a freshman, was charged on Aug. 15 in Las Vegas Township Justice Court with conspiracy to commit burglary, burglary and grand larceny for his alleged role in the theft of $500, a pair of shoes and 26 video games from a friend’s apartment last May. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 12.
“I respect Savon’s decision and will always be here to support him,” UNLV coach Dave Rice said in the statement. “I wish him all the best.”
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound Goodman was a Parade All-American after averaging 25.8 points, 14.2 rebounds and 3.2 assists his senior year at Constitution High School in Philadelphia. He had been practicing with the Rebels during his suspension and even attended Thursday night’s Scarlet & Gray Showcase scrimmage at the Thomas & Mack Center but did not dress.
By Steve Guiremand/MyLVsports.com